I haven’t had much time to play with the crossing lines. I do like their simplicity and the way they can create complex crossing relationships. I’ll be playing around with braids next, and integrating differential equations and chaos of course.
Continuing on with experimenting with grids of circles. I’ve cranked up the randomness, the alpha channel and the circle size on this one. It works really well with some animation. I might consider this technique to add some interest to the quantum mechanics demos to draw the eye to the density functions.
I’d been rather unmotivated with a number of projects that I’m working on, but going through my inspiration board on pinterest got me fired up again. I’ve got a few more experiments on the way.
The stills don’t have anywhere near the punch that the ring rendering does, but the nebulous billowy cloud like effect is nice. I’m using the same code to pick the colors, just replacing stroke with fill. I’ll have to keep this in my back pocket and see if there is something I can pull this out for in the future.
These are all simple images where I’m testing out a very simple set of rules. I’m using a modified lorentzian function to generate the colors near each line. The position and intensity of each line is determined by a tree like algorithm. I got a lot of different effects from playing with the colors and the height of each line. Like many things in this learning process, I never thought some of these minor tweaks would have such a large impact on the resulting image. The parameters that I did expect to change things just ended up making things either too muddy, dense or too sparse. I’ve still got to give it some try with some real colors, but I’ve gotten sidetracked yet again!